The fundamental missions of the Central Bank are as follows :
- To define and implement monetary policy within WAMU,
- To ensure the stability of the banking and financial system of WAMU,
- To promote the proper functioning and ensure the monitoring and security of payment systems in WAMU,
- To implement WAMU’s exchange rate policy according to the terms established by the Council of Ministers,
- To manage the official foreign exchange reserves of the WAMU member States.
In keeping with monetary equilibrium, the Central Bank may carry out specific missions or projects designed to contribute to an improved monetary policy environment and greater diversification as well as a stronger financial system in WAMU and enhanced technical and professional capacities in the banking and financial sector.